SCCM 2012 – Scan failed with error = 0x80244019

SCCM 2012 – Scan failed with error = 0x80244019

Hi All,

recently i was at a customer and one of the client machines were getting the following error (looking at the WUAHandler.log) when trying to initiate the Software Update scan cycle:
OnSearchComplete – Failed to end search job. Error = 0x80244019.
Scan failed with error = 0x80244019

using CMTrace, i discovered that the error 0x80244019 means Same as HTTP status 404 – the server cannot find the requested URI (Uniform Resource Identifier).

I went back to the server and checked everything. I did not noticed anything wrong with it. The IIS was there, working fine. Other machines were connecting to it and getting updates.

As the customer had other name resolution problems, i thought that this could be something down to the name resolution (FQDN) and/or proxy/firewall.

checking the proxy settings did not make any difference. I even followed the KB900935 – How the Windows Update client determines which proxy server to use to connect to the Windows Update Web site

We also, we checked and the name resolution from the client was working as well as we did not see anything related on the firewall. The only difference between the “normal” traffic was that the WSUS was installed using port 8530/8531, default on Windows Server 2012 R2…

We installed wireshark and captured the network traffic, and nothing…we did not see anything being sent to the port 8530 at all…

Because everything else was working fine…we did a bit of comparison between the “not-working” machine the “working” machine (also a virtual machine) and we discovered that the network cards were connected to a different VLAN…changing it to the same vlan fixed the problem…


Raphael is a 9 times Microsoft MVP with over 20 years of experience in IT, in which 13 years have been dedicated to System Center and Automation. His extended experience has been developed through several IT roles, from first-line support to principal consultant, towards a wide range of clients and sectors. One of the four MVPs in Enterprise Client Management in the UK, Raphael holds more than 30 Microsoft certifications and is an MCT (Microsoft Certified Trainer). Since 2008, Raphael has been providing Microsoft trainings from basic to advanced levels in several categories. Throughout his career, Raphael has joined as speaker in well-known events such as TechEd and Gartner Security Risk Management. He also organised community events and lectured around the world, sharing best practices and knowledge within the industry. Bilingual in English and Portuguese, Raphael has authored diverse articles published in Microsoft's TechEd, served as the editor-in-chief of a magazine focused on System Center in Brazil and wrote two books: "Understanding System Center 2012 SP1 Configuration Manager: The walkthrough book" and "System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager: Automation from Zero to Hero".

Tagged with: , , , , ,