SCCM 2012 – SUP – Error: There was an error downloading the software update. (12152)

SCCM 2012 – SUP – Error: There was an error downloading the software update. (12152)
5 (100%) 1 vote

Hi All,

recently i was at a customer site installing SCCM 2012 R2 and i had an issue downloading some updates…

The steps were simple. as it was the 1st time, i’ve created an Software Update Group with all Windows 7 updates already released and tried to download it to a deployment package…

The wizard was telling me that some updates failed to download with error: There was an error downloading the software update. (12152)
and of course, a long list of updates where bellow it.

the 1st i thought it was internet/proxy problem, however, there was no proxy involved and i could navigate to the internet without any problem…

looking at the patchdownloader.log (it can be under %temp%, C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp or \Logs) i saw the following

Checking machine config Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:03:23 5472 (0x1560)
Cert revocation check is disabled so cert revocation list will not be checked. Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:03:23 5472 (0x1560)
To enable cert revocation check use: UpdDwnldCfg.exe /checkrevocation Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:03:23 5472 (0x1560)
Authentication of file C:\Users\SCCMAD~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\CAB5776.tmp failed, error 0x800b0004 Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:03:23 5472 (0x1560)
ERROR: DownloadContentFiles() failed with hr=0x80073633 Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:03:23 5204 (0x1454)
Trying to connect to the root\SMS namespace on the machine. Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:04:16 5976 (0x1758)
Connected to \\\root\SMS Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:04:16 5976 (0x1758)
Trying to connect to the \\\root\sms\site_ namespace on the machine. Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:04:16 5976 (0x1758)
Connected to \\\root\sms\site_ Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:04:16 5976 (0x1758)
Download destination = \\\pkgsource$\WSUSContent\Windows 7\8fb58e8a-ab40-4932-be8c-fd3e07d08b38.1\windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe . Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:04:16 5976 (0x1758)
Contentsource = http://wsus.ds.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/svpk/2011/02/windows6.1-kb976932-x86_c3516bc5c9e69fee6d9ac4f981f5b95977a8a2fa.exe . Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:04:16 5976 (0x1758)
Downloading content for ContentID = 16777378, FileName = windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe. Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:04:16 5976 (0x1758)
HttpSendRequest failed 12152 Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:04:16 5600 (0x15E0)
Download http://wsus.ds.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/svpk/2011/02/windows6.1-kb976932-x86_c3516bc5c9e69fee6d9ac4f981f5b95977a8a2fa.exe to C:\Users\SCCMAD~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\CABDB56.tmp returns 12152 Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:04:16 5600 (0x15E0)
ERROR: DownloadContentFiles() failed with hr=0x80072f78 Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:04:16 5976 (0x1758)
Trying to connect to the root\SMS namespace on the machine. Software Updates Patch Downloader 19/03/2014 09:09:57 2396 (0x095C)

looking t the errors (and using cmtrace to translate) i’ve got:
12152 = The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response
0x80073633 = Invalid certificate signature
0x80072f78 = The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response

interesting, seems that is is a problem with Microsoft?!?!

well…i doubt that so, i open the Internet explorer and navigated to the Contentsource (in this case was http://wsus.ds.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/svpk/2011/02/windows6.1-kb976932-x86_c3516bc5c9e69fee6d9ac4f981f5b95977a8a2fa.exe). as you can see, this is a huge download, over 500MB..interesting as well was that the IE was also failing to download…

based on this, i assumed that it was a problem with the network and i was sure about this because the day before we tried to download SQL Server from Microsoft volume license and it took ages, almost 8 hours…so, Microsoft had a problem or customer network as not health…and speaking with customer, seems that their network had some issue 🙂

anyway, i returned to the software update group and listed all updates that were not downloaded. selected few and downloaded from the internet. repeated this process few times until only updates that i could not download were there. in this case, a handful of them (actually, only 1, Windows 7 SP1 x64 :)).

now, i downloaded every single one of these updates manually (yes, i had to use other tools/browsers/computers to be able to download it) and saved it to the network. returned to CM and started the wizard to download them but this time, instead of downloading via internet I selected the network and everything worked.

now, bear in mind…if your internet connectivity is slow, you will face problems downloading stuff via SUP…as far as I know (but will not be able to confirm, this is my experience with large updates and slow connections), SCCM has a timeout of 15min per download, it means that, if the download takes over 15min it will timeout and error will be generated…in this case, use IE to download that update 🙂

and if you’re going to use this “workaround”, remember to delete the browser cache, add the site (i normally add *.microsoft.com) to the secure IE list and stuff like that…

Tags:

Recent Posts

Comments are closed.
%d bloggers like this: