Recently, i was at a customer site, i was not able to install a SCCM 2012 R2 on a new primary site. I had installed SQL 2012 and later on applied SP1.
The error i was getting on the log was “msxml6_x64.msi installation process returned 1618. I don’t need to say that i tried to install it manually enabling log just to see what was going on.
Interesting, i did noticed, using task manager, that MSIEXEC was crazy….every time starting a new instance.
Monitoring it with the procmon and procexec, i noticed that ngen.exe was appearing a lot…a quick research i found a issue with the SP1 of SQL 2012 and installing the hotfix 2793634 (Windows Installer starts repeatedly after you install SQL Server 2012 SP1) should fix the issue.
Installing it and restarting the server did fix the problem.