mdt

Task Sequence Variables for SCCM

Players, I wanted to share a pretty cool spreadsheet that a fellow professional showed me, I asked if he’s happy for me to share it, and here it is. Its a brilliant reference guide for all the task sequence variables available in SCCM 2012/2007 and how they work. Variable Class Description SCCM 2007 SCCM 2012 _SMSTSAdvertID Built in Stores the current running task sequence deployment unique ID. It uses the same format as a Configuration Manager software distribution deployment ID. If the task sequence is running from stand-alone media, this variable is undefined. Yes Yes _SMSTSBootImageID Built in Stores the Configuration Manager boot image package ID if a boot image package is associated with the current running task sequence. The variable will not be set if no Configuration Manager boot image package is associated. Yes Yes _SMSTSClientGUID Built in Stores the value of Configuration Manager client GUID. This variable is…

SCCM 2012 R2 & MDT 2013 – Pausing task sequence

Hi All, have you ever wonder why and how to pause a task sequence?? well…the why is simple, troubleshooting…but how, that is the complicated part… Actually not, and if you stop a bit and think, there are many ways: 1- create a script to wait many minutes (lets say, 120min), i think this is enough to do any troubleshooting 🙂 2- create a script to look for something (ie. a file) and when the file exist, it deletes and continue… 3- create a script… 4- create a script… as you can see, everything is down to a script, unfortunately, there is no “out-of-the-box” step to do it… but now that you know how to pause a TS (ok, you still don’t know how to create a script, do you?) let’s look at the options 1- create a script that waits for 120min… and if you finish your troubleshooting before?!?!!? you…

SCCM 2012 R2 & MDT 2013 – Unattend.xml

Hi All, Customizing Unattend.xml is always fun, including when things does not work as expected and how to troubleshoot this when things are not going as planned? the way i find is simple…copy the xml file to a temp folder after changes to it happen, and i do this manually… 1- after the configure step and before the setup and configure windows, add a pause on your task sequence (i’ll be posting how to do it on a later post) 2-copy the file from c:\windows\panther\unattended\unattended.xml to c:\temp\phase1.xml 3- continue your task sequence and the setup and configure windows will happen… 4- once the restart countdown start copy the same file again to c:\temp\phase2.xml now it is time to leave the installation to happen and your task sequence to finish and troubleshoot your xml files… couple of problems i already found when customizing the xml: 1- order of the items… when…

SCCM 2012 R2 and MDT 2013 – UDI

Hi All, 1 of my clients is using SCCM 2012 R2 with MDT 2013 for the UDI (User driven installation). The UDI is really simple, ask name of the computer, OU/Domain, User primary user as well as language. As you can see here, UDI does not format the PC. Based on this, we created a new UDI XML file and created our task sequence with the 1st step when in winpe is to format the disk. The problem start after the UDI Wizard runs, as it clear the OSDisk variable. After this, you’ll see the error The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows) when trying to apply the OS as i described here Looking at the MDT code, i found that if the OSDDiskpart is set to TRUE, mdt will clear the OSDisk Variable and if it is set to anything else, it will get the value from OSDTargetDrive. Easy enough…

SCCM 2012 R2 and MDT 2013 – UDI (Locale)

Hi All, 1 of my clients is using SCCM 2012 R2 with MDT 2013 for the UDI (User driven installation). The UDI is really simple, ask name of the computer, OU/Domain, User primary user as well as language. As you can see here, UDI does not format the PC. Based on this, we created a new UDI XML file and changed the default unattended.xml to add the UDI variables to the new OS. We changed/added the following from en-us for the code it was <InputLocale>%KeyboardLocale%</InputLocale> <SystemLocale>%UserLocale%</SystemLocale> <UILanguage>%UILanguage%</UILanguage> <UserLocale>%UserLocale%</UserLocale> the problem is when we apply the XML file, it did not change the keyboard and locale to our test location (UK), instead, it kept en-us. searching, we found a blog post for MDT 2012 Update 01 from Cameron (you can find the post here) and applying the workaround fixed the issue. after that, i found that the MDT 2013 documentation (that…